Media assembled outside a Merrillville home today where a family of four was found dead Wednesday evening
In a neighborhood on the southwest side of Merrillville, a family of four was found dead Wednesday evening, and authorities believe they all died from carbon monoxide poisoning. The Lake County Coroners office says 41-year-old Micheal Nichols, 38-year-old Kennetha Purnell, 13-year-old Matthew Nichols and 11-year-old Morgan Nichols were pronounced dead shortly after 7-o'clock Wednesday night inside a home in the 800 block of West 70th Avenue. The cause of death for all four was pending as of late Wednesday night, according to the coroners office.
Merrillville Police responded to the home at about 5:30 Wednesday evening to conduct a welfare check and found four people dead. Through the investigation, officers say they determined that the family was moving into the home and did not have the power turned on. A gas generator was located in the attached garage with power cords connected to various electronics in the home, police say. Police also say all exterior doors and windows were closed. The Lake County Coroners office said they did not anticipate having any other information regarding cause of death today. [Photo/Karl Berner, Radio One Communications]