The Portage Fire Department presented an 11 year old Portage girl with a Young Hero's award today for her actions and bravery regarding a house fire Wednesday evening. Assistant Fire Chief Joe Calhoun recognized Haley Lawrence, a 5th grader at Aylesworth Elementary, with the award during the annual fire prevention program, with her family in attendance. The Fire Department gives Haley credit for the minimal damage done by the fire and for the safety of residents, like her grandmother, whom she alerted after smelling smoke coming from a dryer in the basement. Officials say the girl, remembering the lessons learned through fire prevention programs, ushered her grandmother outside and reminded her the first call she should make is to 911, not other family members. The Fire Department reports the fire was contained to the dryer and the home received no structural damage. No injuries were reported and the family was not displaced.