Police in Michigan City say a ten-year old boy ran to a safe location and made contact with an adult after being approached by a white man with a beard, driving a van that was dark purple in color, who reportedly offered the boy a ride to school. Michigan City Police report the incident occurred at approximately 8:20am, in the area of Broadbrook and Dorchester, in the Village Green neighborhood, as the child was walking to Knapp Elementary School. Authorities say they are investigating this incident and stepping up patrols as a result around area schools.
The following safety tips are being sent to the parents and students:
· Make sure children walk or bike to school (or any other location) with a friend.
· Walk the route to and from school with your children, pointing out safe places to go if they’re being followed or need help.
· Teach your children to ask permission before leaving home or playing outside. Make sure they check in with you if there is a change of plans.
· Caution children never to accept a ride from anyone unless you have told them it is okay to do so in every instance.
· Remind children that it is okay to say “no” to anything that makes them feel scared, uncomfortable, or confused – and that they should tell you if anything or anyone makes them feel this way.
· Tell children that if anyone tries to grab them, they should make a scene and make every effort to get away by kicking, screaming, and making as much noise as possible.
# # #