January 11, 2013
The Porter County Sheriff’s Police Department is currently accepting applications for Probationary Patrol Officer. Applications may be picked up at the Porter County Sheriff’s Department Monday through Friday between 8:00 A.M. and 4:00 P.M. Applications are also available on the Sheriff’s Department website: www.portercountysheriff.com . Applications are due by 4:00 PM on Friday March 8, 2013.
Questions can be directed to Sgt. Larry LaFlower at 477-3102.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR EMPLOYMENT AS A PORTER COUNTY POLICE OFFICER:
1) MUST BE A CITIZEN OF THE UNITED STATES
2) MUST BE A RESIDENT OF PORTER COUNTY; WITHIN SIX (6) MONTHS OF APPOINTMENT
3) MUST BE AT LEAST TWENTY-ONE (21) YEARS OF AGE AT THE TIME OF APPOINTMENT
4) MUST HAVE A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR EQUIVALENT BY AN ACCREDITED SCHOOL
5) MUST POSSESS A VALID MOTOR VEHICLE OPERATOR’S LICENSE
6) MUST PASS STANDARDIZED WRITTEN INTELLIGENCE TESTS
7) MUST PASS A PHYSICAL ABILITY TEST
8) MUST PASS AN EXTENSIVE BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION
9) MUST PASS A POLYGRAPH AND/OR A VOICE STRESS EXAMINATION
10) MUST PASS AN ORAL INTERVIEW BEFORE THE SHERIFF’S MERIT BOARD
11) MUST PASS A DRUG SCREEN EXAMINATION
12) MUST PASS A MEDICAL EXAMINATION
13) MUST PASS A PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAMINATION
2013 SALARY AND BENEFITS FOR PATROL OFFICER
PORTER COUNTY SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT
Probationary Officer $35,507.
2nd Class Officer $39,333.
1st Class Officer $47,251.
Longevity Pay starting after completion of 3rd year of service
♦ Medical/Dental/Prescription Insurance
♦ Life Insurance
♦ Wellness Program
♦ In-House Fitness Room (available 24 hours/day)
♦ Paid Vacation
♦ Paid Holidays
♦ Full Pension at Age 50 with 20 Years of Service (Officer Pays 3% of Salary)
♦ Deferred Compensation Plan Available (Tax-deferred Retirement Plan)
♦ Take Home Car Program (After Completion of Academy & Field Training)
♦ Individual In-Car Laptop Computers
♦ Quartermaster System – All Clothing & Equipment Furnished by Department
♦ Accident Reconstruction Team ♦ Bicycle Officers
♦ Bomb Squad (E.O.D.) ♦ Color Guard Unit
♦ Crime Scene Investigators ♦ K-9 Program
♦ Motorcycle Officers
♦ SWAT Team