Authorities are reminding pet owners that you are subject to animal neglect statues and could face prosecution if you leave your animals outside in the cold and sub-zero temperatures. The Lake County Sheriff's Office reports the law mandates that your pet must have proper shelter in inclement weather.
Please be aware of your pet’s needs, most importantly proper shelter.
Some guidelines to consider are:
- In cold weather most dogs and cats should be kept inside
- Remember sweaters and jackets for short haired dogs going out
- Avoid leaving pets in cars
- Salt and other chemicals can be irritating to pet’s paws and if ingested can cause health problems
- Check your vehicle before you start it if you have stray cats in your area as they sometimes seek shelter in the engine compartment
If you notice a pet in left threatening situation contact your local police department, the Lake County Animal Adoption and Control Center at 769-7016 or the Lake County Sheriff’s Department at 755-3333.